Environmental and CEQA Considerations
Each permit application is required to be in compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) in accordance with California Code of Regulations, Title 23, Section 191, Incorporation of California Environmental Quality Act Guidelines. In addition to a CEQA review permit applications will also be provided to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) to ensure compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
Encroachment permit applications are required to include a copy of all CEQA documents that have been submitted to the State Clearinghouse or the County Recorder’s Office of the county where the project will be located.
For additional information on submitting CEQA documents refer to:
- 2019 CEQA Statute and Guidelines
- The CEQA Technical Advisory (November 15, 2005 State Clearinghouse)
- The State Clearinghouse Handbook 2012
Additional publications on CEQA requirements are available on the website of the Office of Planning and Research:
U.S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS REVIEW
The USACE review will be carried out pursuant to the following authorities:
- Section 14 of the Rivers and Harbors Appropriation Act of 1899 (codified in Title 33 United States Code Section 408) regarding the authority to make alterations to, or to temporarily or permanently occupy or use, any USACE federally authorized civil works project;
- Section 10 of the Rivers and Harbors Appropriation Act of 1899 (codified in Title 33 United States Code Section 403) regarding work or structures in, under, or above navigable waters; and
- Section 404 of the Clean Water Act (CWA) of 1972 (codified in Title 33 United States Code Section 1344) regarding discharges of dredged or fill material into waters of the United States.
For more information on the permit review pursuant to Section 404 of the CWA, please contact the Regulatory Branch of the USACE at:
Sacramento District HQ Office
1325 J Street, Room 1350
Sacramento, California 95814
Phone: (916) 557-5250
Fax: (916) 557-5306