USACE SACRAMENTO DISTRICT HISTORY – Building Strong for 90 Years
- The Sacramento District was formed on October 7, 1929.
- Initial mission was to improve flood control and navigation in the Sacramento and San Joaquin valleys.
- During World War II, the district grew from 600 to more than 2,200 staff with a new focus on military support and construction.
- When territory was transferred from the Los Angeles District in 1968, the district’s area of responsibility grew 63 percent to include more than 2 million acres and 300,000 miles of waterways. (more)