CVFPB Federal Partner U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Sacramento District
The United States Army Corps of Engineers’ (USACE) Sacramento District was formed in October 1929, before that it was part of the San Francisco District, formed in 1866. Its boundaries included the rivers and waterways within areas drained by the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers above their confluence at the head of Suisun Bay. It was entirely within the State of California, from the Sierra Nevada on the east and Oregon border on the north to the Tehachapi Mountains on the south.
Military construction responsibilities were added to the district in 1941 and again in 1943, the civil boundaries were expanded to include the area of the former Salt Lake City District. In 1968, the Sacramento District became the second largest in the contiguous United States when territory was transferred from the Los Angeles District. Added were all of Utah, except the southwest corner, Colorado from the Continental Divide west, the southwest corner of Wyoming, northeast corner of Arizona and the northwest corner of New Mexico for a total of 290,000 square miles.
Approximately 1,000 military and civilian employees work in the Sacramento District today. It is one of the largest districts in the Corps, covering all or part of eight western states.
The USACE is made up of approximately 37,000 civilians and 650 military men and women. Our military and civilian engineers, scientists and other specialists work hand in hand as leaders in engineering and environmental matters. Our diverse workforce of biologists, engineers, geologists, hydrologists, natural resource managers and other professionals meets the demands of changing times and requirements as a vital part of America’s Army.